Monday, October 13, 2008

Abu Dhabi: The capital of randomness?

Last night I had planned to catch two films. I've been watching two movies per day at MEIFF and had everything planned out for my big evening out. While Wes was schedule to work (he saw a documentary during the day) I grabbed Lee, the business designer, to tag along to The Wackness (which I did see and can testify how hilarious it was).

Anyway, just after making plans I'm handed an invite to a media launch party (apparently we'll be (eventually) moving to a Media City located on an island within Abu Dhabi. While I'm not one to pass on fancy parties with free food and booze I do what Elysia usually does in a situation with two sets of plans: Go to both.


Seriously what it looked like

The event has what I mostly expect: large bubbled dome tents, spinning DJs, waiters with white gloves pouring glass after glass of champagne, sparkling trays of appetizers and beautiful people. And one thing I didn't expect: Duran Duran.

Did I mention that money really seems to grow on trees here?

While some people were questioning the choice of the 80s super hit machine, it seemed oh-so-fitting for Abu Dhabi. Any time I turn on the radio it's like flipping the switch on a time machine. This is the city who plays the 69 Boyz' "Tootsie Roll" and TLC's "Waterfalls" like they just came out.

Google Newsing the event today will give you hits by The New York Times, The Guardian and Reuters. Pictures to come...

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Was that a Freudian slip, or did you really mean DurIan DurIan? Were you hungry when you posted that?

:-)

Elysia said...

Ooops! Not hungry (especially not for Durian) or a Freudian slip... that's a spellchecker mistake! Fixed now!