Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Even in Abu Dhabi...

... I can manage to get a parking ticket.

Photobucket
Yea, I can't read it either.

Needless to say, parking tickets in Abu Dhabi are almost unheard of. When I told people I got a parking ticket their first reaction was, "HU?" The city is known for it's "park-anywhere" attitude. Towing generally doesn't exist either. People park on sidewalks, next to fire hydrants, in the middle of lanes... pretty anywhere their car will fit. Oh, and boy do they double park (even I won't do that). Only recently has the mention of parking meters popped up.

Photobucket
Typical view of cramped parking conditions.

Photobucket
What I got fined for: Parking in the middle... a common Abu Dhabi practice.

After some translation I've discovered the fine is at least sort of low. About 200 AED or $55 and can be paid whenever (including next year when I renew my insurance).


No comments: