Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fond words from the Brits

Today we got into a discussion about France and how I'm secretly afraid to go there after hearing horror stories about the treatment of non-French speakers. I have a feeling that watching "French Kiss" the other night has re-enforced this fear.

The Brits on my desk claim my fears are true.

"You'll go into a shop and speak French trying to order a sandwich and then they will get angry and say, 'YEAH YEAH. I'll get you and sandwich' in English."

"The French are a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys."

"I refused for a long time to believe that the French are all assholes. A whole nation can't be like that. But I think they want you to believe they are assholes."

Ringing endorsements about France, eh? I really want to go for the food. But I think I could do without the attitude. Maybe I just need someone that speaks French to go with me, oui?

6 comments:

Jugarum said...

When Keely and I went to Normandy, it was awful! Not the trip or the place (which is very beautiful), but the people. They are extremely rude if you don't speak their language (or if you do, it wouldn't EVER be good enough), and they're a pretty lazy bunch too. I would avoid going to france altogether, and pick somewhere else.

Plus, they're on the Euro, which still happens to be stronger than the dollar. Meaning, it'll be one hell of an expensive bad time. Honestly pick somewhere to go that has minimal French influence. You'll have a much better time.

Unknown said...

No way! France is amazing. If you learn a few key phrases and remember to say "hello" and "thank you" and "good day" when interacting with shopkeepers, you'll be fine. Everyone in Paris holds the door open for each other. I found it more civil than the U.S. But then again, I'm a lifelong francophile ... (you knew that).

-Kelly D.

Anonymous said...

Just say Bonjour to everyone before you start talking, and it will be fine. I have only had, in thousands of encounters, one rude response, seriously, Besides, as long as you get your food and wine you should be happy.

Alexander said...

I just got back from France and they were all sweeties. Not a frown or harsh word, even for the resolutely English-only speakers in our party - just sunny smiles and helpfulness along with plenty of younger people who WANT to speak English.

And that was in Paris and the North East... I think the stereotype's out of date...

Jugarum said...

Instead of France, how about Luxembourg! You can get the same wonderful French cuisine with half the attitude! Plus, there is a lot of German influence too, so if you ever tire of Frankfood, you can get a traditional German dish!

Besides food, Luxembourg is a magnificent city. It's like one giant fortress. It's amazing, and really has to be seen to appreciate it's beauty! Plus, Wes' grandfather fought there with Patton's 3rd Cav, in WW2!

Anonymous said...

When I went to France in High School (about 11 or so years ago) it was great! The only rude person I met was an old grumpy Italian man. Like others said, as long as you are polite and know some key phrases (and never ask where the toilet is, ask where you can wash your hands) it's a great time, or at least it was back then!