Thursday, November 13, 2008

Say what???

Today, while Wes is at work, I'm going to Dubai to check out the newest UAE "largest" structure addition: Dubai Mall. The mall, which opened on Nov. 4, is that heavenly place which is home to the Taco Bell (Wes and I have already discussed how I will bring back about 10 bean burritos which we will then freeze). While I will be gorging on some TB, I also plan on spending the day checking out the sights of the mall. There's a ice skating rink, a HUGE and amazing aquarium and a lot of gourmet food stores.

But since the mall is so new not everything is open yet says their Web site. Stuff like the movie theatre won't be ready until mid 2009. Bummer. Another place that isn't ready yet is the Sega Republic. While I am just as puzzled as you, I was curious to see what the hell that is.

Checking out the Web page for Sega Republic gives a picture of an almost-constructed American Gladiator-looking structure.

The given description for Sega Republic is even more baffling:

Enter a nation addicted to adrenalin. The region’s first SEGA indoor theme park is a mind-altering, visually-stimulating, adrenalin-pumping attraction. SEGA Republic is where you create your own rules. Rebel against the senses and go into overdrive. Get addicted.

Two things come to mind after reading this. My experience with living here thus far says:

1. They don't even have a CLUE on what it is that they are building. One night, over shisha, this concept emerged and some sheik said, "BUILD IT!"

2. They love American Gladiators so much (yes, it's shown here in the UAE) that they want to start their own UAE Gladiators. I can see it now, little Pakistani boys being whacked off the tall podium in the Joust by some grinning locals. And the crowd goes wild.

Whatever it is I'm sure I'll check it out when it opens.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Ya know, Taco Bell was probably the first fast food that Wes ever had.

Then of course there was the BK incident which should have given me an inkling that he would go through a vegetarian phase. When he was about three, he ate all of a burger, lettuce, onion, pickle, tomato and bun, but left behind the beef patty!

I gotta say though, you really should try the crunch wrap!