Saturday, July 19, 2008

It feels like the end of the world

It started when I looked at the blue book in the lobby of our apartment building. I usually check it out once in a while because it is the Maintenance book, and lists all the problems that people in our building enter into it. It often has humorous quotes in it from people desperate to get the problems they are having fixed. These usually consist of, 'The sink is leaking', 'the toilet is broken', or 'Why is the trash room door locked?'. This time I noticed something odd, there were a sudden rash of complaints about the AC being broken in a few different flats. Many of them said things like 'It is 25C and rising fast!'. Then later that day, I got home, turned the AC back on, and lay out on the couch. As I lay there, taking a nap to be prepared for the fun and party time later that night, I woke up, hot and sweaty. This is very unusual, often it is very cold in the living room, and mildly cool in the bedroom. But yet, here I am, laying on the couch, all sweaty. I look at the thermostat, and realize that it shows is it 25C. I turn it down to 21C where we usually leave it, and try to sleep some more. And I sweat more. Oh damn. That means our AC is broken too! I start asking around in our flats and am told that a fan went out on the roof and it will not be fixed until Sunday. This was on a Thursday! Are we going to make it? I go to a party, and come back home about 4am. It is hot as hell in the apartment, the temp has reached 30C and as I try to recover the next day, all I can do is lay there sweating out all the water my body has, water that could be used in combating my hangover! We have to get out of here. It has now reached 31C (about 88F) in our flat and the temp is still climbing.

Screw this, we are going to a hotel tonight until it is fixed tomorrow!

No comments: