Thursday, July 31, 2008

New addition to our household!

NO, I AM NOT PREGNANT. Nor did we get another dog (or cat/fish/bird/turtle).

Now that we've cleared that up I can talk about our new addition... Lori.... our Filipino house maid. For those of you who have not lived overseas (everywhere except Europe) you may be screaming out loud, "WHY DO YOU NEED A MAID!?! Are you seriously that lazy??"

Those that know me well know that I am generally pretty clean about my house. I hate dirty dishes and gross floors. So the reasons isn't that I'm incapable of doing it myself. Or that I am lazy.

Over here, things are, CHEAP. Getting your laundry done, handyman jobs around the house and hiring a maid are all close to nothing. The cost of living is low (except for the Manhattan rent prices). While I can be doing other things that I enjoy more than cleaning house (reading, working on art for work, etc) I can hire someone else to do, pardon the expression, my dirty work. While we're not getting a live-in maid, Lori does come once a week for two hours to clean the bathroom, floors, kitchen, etc.

Cost? 50AED or about $14 (also the cost of filling my gas tank.. thought I'd rub that in as well).

4 comments:

Nancy said...

A Filapino maid named Lori? LOLOLOLOL

Anonymous said...

YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I say that with love....I'm just jealous! :)

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah...here have this salt and our it into my weeping wound please!!!