Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dog fever

The hardest part about taking this new job is definitely being so far from my dog. Sorry, family and friends, I miss you but I REALLY miss my Cassie.

I'm glad that my mom is doing such a great job with her. Basically to the point of spoiling her by feeding her chicken and steak. But I'm really going through dog withdrawal.

Coming home from work without a wagging greeting is hard. Not being able to cuddle is the hardest.

It sounds pathetic but my dog is really like my child and I miss her. An Irish copy editor here is going through the same pains I am. Actually, he's worse believe it or not. He couldn't even talk about his dog with me without getting choked up. But I understood what he was trying to say.

Really though, I'm glad I didn't bring Cassie along. It's not a good place for dogs. There isn't a lot of grass (which should be obvious since I'm in a desert) and there certainly aren't quality pet stores. There's only one animal hospital. And, well, most people consider dogs "unclean" (although cats are A-OK).

But I don't think I can wait until June to have dog interaction. Really, that's far too long. I'm not saying I'm getting a dog. There's no way I'll do that because I don't want the pains of having to make another decision on what to do when I leave. But I have scouted K-9 Friends, a local rescue group, and have volunteered to do kennel work. Depending on how the next few weeks pan out, I am also considering fostering a dog.

Oh, and I signed Wes up as well.. and he didn't know that. But now he does.

No comments: