Thursday, February 14, 2008

Too exclusive to say no

Today I got this response from some co-workers: 

"Ooooohhhh... you're going out to dinner with someone who is NOT your husband... ON VALENTINE'S DAY?!?" 

Yes. Yes I am. 

I'm going out to dinner with a copy editor at work. James, a self-proclaimed foodie with a lot of street cred, got reservations at the Italian restaurant in the Millennium Hotel. Hard to come-by reservations are not a thing I can pass up. 

James met the chef last night and apparently got chummy with him. And that's the only reason we got reservations. 

I'll let you know how the food (and wine) is. 

Hey! I know you expected me to sit at home by myself and cry but if Wes isn't here then I go on about my day as if it weren't Valentine's Day. Just another day with a can't-pass-up dining reservation. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Glad you are not in Saudi Arabia!

Alexander said...

Hope dinner was cool - and thanks for the Fat Expat linky plug! :)

James Brock said...

Well, the food was good, but not great, excepting the first course, which was octopus carpaccio over shaved fennel. I love ceviche, and this was as good as I have had anywhere. The morel that came atop the risotto was the other highlight for me. That said, my dining companion was delightful, and the conversation quite diverse and colorful. Plus, Elysia has a healthy appetite and loves food, so I can't wait for some dinner parties. I have to say that Wes is a lucky man indeed! (The night before I dined at Fishmarket at the Intercontinental, and it was outstanding - if you love seafood, go, and order the Omani lobster.)