Monday, February 25, 2008

RE: Another Seattle throwback? Probably.

I wasn't going to post about our meal at Al Fanar yet because I was hoping we could get some of our photos to accompany this entry. Normal that wouldn't be a problem but now our camera won't connect to the computer for some god awful reason. This is officially the last straw concerning the camera. Thank god I get paid on Friday.

Anyway, about dinner... here are the two highlights.

The View: I thought it was amazing. I think Wes did too, even though he downplayed it the next day for some reason. The feeling of rotating was a bit odd though. I compared it to feeling drunk and watching the room spin — just at a slower speed. Eventually you do "stabilize" and don't notice it as much. We both agreed that lunch might be a better time to go because you can see more of Abu Dhabi. It's actually surprising how many building are not lit at night in the capitol.

The best salmon, ever: I have never tasted better salmon than what Wes ordered as an appetizer. And this is coming from someone who lived in the Pacific Northwest for over three years (and ate great fish all of the time). The dish he ordered had raw, bright-red cuts of Norway salmon that seriously felt like they were melting in my mouth. Accompanying the salmon was a thin cream cheese roll on the side with sliced and marinated cuts of shaved apple. The overall presentation was also great. I had a bowl of creamy potato soup with truffle. Although good, it wasn't the salmon dish.

The rest of dinner was good but not something to write home about. The service was good and attentive. My main course was good but I wouldn't order it again (beef tenderloin with a mustard-gravy). Dessert was good, although not what I was expecting (it was a malvia pudding from South Africa).

But yes, I'd definitely go back and try something else. Oh, and I'd get the salmon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry -- did you say you ordered beef tenderloin? Just checkin' ...