Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Amusing things of the week

I've decided to do one post every week that contains things that are currently amusing the HELL OUT OF ME. Things that are generally unique, different or weird ... and that may very well blow your mind. 

Here's this list:

No need to run to Starbuck's anymore: What do I mean? Well, we have a personal COFFEE BOY who brings us coffee directly to our desks, everyday, for free! I had my boss and co-workers explain it to me about three times. 
"So, I tell him how I like my coffee... and then it gets delivered?"
Righty-o. Delivery right to my desk in a golden tea cup resting on it's porcelain saucer. The Coffee Boy, with his serving tray and bow-tie, visits our area many times a day. It's still unbelievable to me. 

'What is that noise?': That "noise" I hear about five times a day is the daily call to prayer. Each mosque has it's own "guy" who sings the call to prayer at different planned times of the day. How do I hear it? Well, every mosque here is high tech and has a GIANT microphone/loudspeaker on the top of their building. The call is actually very beautiful and is sung. I'm just hoping my apartment isn't too close to a mosque.. the first daily call to prayer is around 5 a.m.

If I die here, it will be car related.: I will not be driving here. It is INSANE. People here are fucking crazy with their cars. There are accidents everywhere (some guy who worked for the paper died yesterday because he went the usual speed of 100mph in the rain). Everyone uses their horns (CONSTANTLY) and pedestrians look like moving targets. There are actually no hard set laws about killing or waiting for pedestrians. People try to generally avoid them, but if you hit one.. well.. they didn't move fast enough. I never thought i'd be wearing a seat belt in a taxi.

Should have brought my gear: There is a huge ice hockey league here. 

Cheaper than usual: There is a HUGE Ikea here. Like 10 times the size of normal ones AND it's cheaper than ones in the States. And get this, if you spend 2000 Dhirim (about $548 USD), they will delivery it and send "a crew of little Philippine men in blue shirts to assemble everything." (That's a direct quote from one of my co-workers.)



1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hi Elysia!

You might find that in a couple of months you rarely even notice the call to prayer!

Now tell me, I am curious, can the coffee man do lattes and all that sort of thing, or is it more of a basic service? How do the prices for a cup compare with here at home?

Sounds like things are going well so far. One things for sure, living in a place so different from home is never dull!

Love ya!