Sunday, January 20, 2008

What a girl in the desert does on her weekends

Being stuck at my hotel has it's advantages and disadvantages. I discovered that on the weekend the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages.

Here's a short list of what I did this weekend:

Soaked: I used the spa on Friday. And I basically used it all day. Private beach, multiple pools, steam room, mineral bath pools, sauna and a 90 minute Indian massage which, by the end, had my head soaked in oil to "concentrate my third eye." After shower 15 I think i've managed to get all the oil out of my hair. Needless to say, but, I am now very shiny. My day at the spa was $95 USD. Try to get a 90 minute massage and a day at the spa for that price in America.

Circus Mall: So I've been visiting the various malls in the area. I know what you're thinking, "How tourist/American of you, Elysia." But you're totally wrong. EVERYTHING is at the mall. Movie theaters, bowling, karaoke, Internet cafes... You also have your normal 1000 shops and restaurants. But, at the Marina Mall there is SO MUCH more. Walking into the food court I swore I had stepped into the Circus Circus circa "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." I was just waiting for someone to rush up to me and ask me,"How much for the monkey?" I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised because the outside of Marina Mall is looks like a chain of white circus tents. I became very overwhelmed when I saw a kid ridding a mechanical camel around. I mean, I just wasn't ready or expecting to see that next to the Burger King.

The big walk around: After the mall I headed outside for the rest of Saturday and did some tourist stuff. Mostly looking at the water and trying to take pictures of things I thought people would find interesting. (Most of my pictures suck. I was basically pointing-and-shooting before my batteries died. My apologies ahead of time. I'll post pictures later.)

Watched WAY TOO MUCH TV: I am totally guilty of eating chocolate and snuggling in bed ...watching ridiculous amounts of television this weekend. I'm sorry, but when you don't have anyone to do anything with and you don't feel like walking around anymore that's what happens. "Bridget Jones' Diary" and E!'s True Story on Snoop Dogg kept me company.

No comments: