Wednesday, January 30, 2008

True journalists

I work with an old-school kinda journalism mentality. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me. 

Flash back to the 1960s when journalists were eager, hard-drinking, cynical, smoking-at-their-desks, smart, foul-mouthed, workaholics. That's what I'm talking about. It's kinda like all the stories I used to hear. 

I think I'm living that dream. So far, I can safely say that all of the above is true. Even the smoking at their desks thing (people DO THAT here). HR, what's that? Oh, and the hard drinking... 

But seriously, people here, although still very early, are full of passion and drive. And it's contagious. I would love to post the email that was sent out this morning but I won't. Everything here is still very "secret" since we are not yet publishing. Even our paper's name is secret meaning THE STAFF doesn't even know it. (Rumor has it that it will be announced at a name launch party in late February.)

EVERYONE keeps asking me, "How is work?" and "Do you like your job?" My apologies for not being more detailed (call me if you want details ; ). But yea, thumbs up so far. 


1 comment:

nelsestu said...

I like it. This is the mental image of Elysia that I'll maintain when ever I picture her in the newsroom in Abu Dhabi. The smoking, cussing, whiskey filled Elsyia, ready to smash that half empty bottle over the desk just to make a point with co-workers. I can see it...

Glad to hear you are enjoying the work.